[PLUG] POTS setup under Linux

Mark Townsley mstownsley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:45:04 UTC 2015

Hello All:

I have a need to go back to 1990s technology  :)  ...and wanting to turn my
Linux box into a phone dialer, using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Phone-Internet-Modem-TFM-561U/dp/B004BU8O9Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1426109981&sr=8-7&keywords=USB+RJ11

We no longer have POTS modems these days but the gadget above, using USB as
interface, will be similar to those POTS modem we had back in 1990s.

My ultimate goal is to use my Linux box as a phone dialer, able to dial out
and receive calls from an OOMA box.   Long story short, this is for a
friend who has recently become disabled, want to keep his OOMA
service/number.   Even though OOMA is Linux-inside, it does not seem to
have any opened port/interface.  Hence, I want to drive it using the RJ11
jack, essentially turning Linux box into a phone dialer.

I recall using my Linux host to do PPP dialing back in 1990s, even making
phone calls using my phone jacks.   But I cannot find much info anymore nor
do I remember how to put things together.

Any simple pointer much appreciated.

Mark