[PLUG] POTS setup under Linux

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Mar 11 22:31:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 14:45:04 -0700, in message
CAMf_WkqD74T_BK3JAOw7bAARZ1Osq6yQ5w8NnFPqbgiLLsR+AQ at mail.gmail.com,
Mark Townsley wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I have a need to go back to 1990s technology  :)  ...and wanting to
> turn my Linux box into a phone dialer, using something like this:
>

> http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Phone-Internet-Modem-TFM-561U/dp/B004BU8O9Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1426109981&sr=8-7&keywords=USB+RJ11

Wow.  I didn't know they made modems that small.

> I recall using my Linux host to do PPP dialing back in 1990s, even
> making phone calls using my phone jacks.   But I cannot find much
> info anymore nor do I remember how to put things together.
>

> Any simple pointer much appreciated.

I used to use a program called WvDial to control my modem.  It
could dial out and as I recall, answer the phone.  It probably
wouldn't be too hard to repurpose it to your friend's needs.

The program's still around; see the Wikipedia article ("WvDial").
That article also has some other links you might find interesting.
You can also try to surf to

    <http://alumnit.ca/wiki/?WvDial>

to visit the home page.  However, I wasn't able to connect;
perhaps the site is down.  On the other tentacle, try free(code):

    <http://freecode.com/projects/wvdial/>

I note that the program hasn't been updated in quite a while.
Free(code)'s latest version is 1.60, dated 01-Aug-2007.  Fedora
doesn't give a date, but wvdial v1.61 is what's available for
F21.

Anyway, I hope my ramblings help.

--Dale

--
| Space is |  | Space is |  | It's Hard |  | A Place |  | Burma |