[PLUG] video issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 00:07:10 UTC 2015

I have had lock-up issues with my desk-top four times in the last week.  My
son was here when it last happened.  He used my laptop to log onto the
desktop.  He concluded that the video was the issue, and thought that it
was either a nvidia driver issue or the display hardware (on MB Nvidia
GeForce 8200 (rev a2).  So the driver was changed to the OS drive,
supposedly nouveau.  But it appears that the driver used is VESA, the only
displays it thinks I have is laptop; it detects no other displays, and the
resolution options are very limited.

I have had for some time issues with the display, a Samsung
SyncMaster216bw.  The issues seem to be related to power supply warm-up.

My question: is it possible that the monitor ps issues are causing the
video problems I describe above, preventing detection of the monitor?  I
can find out by replacing the display, as planned.  Wayne suggested a ASUS
VE228H,  If I know the monitor issues are the cause of the video problems I
can stop the video problem search.

-Denis