[PLUG] Move home directory to new HD

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 29 15:36:13 UTC 2015

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I put a 1 tb HD in it and am going to move my present work to it so I can
> refurb my X200

Chuck,

   My non-professional opinion: back up all partitions/directories on an
external drive using rsync (with the appropriate options it will preserve
all attributes). Then partition and format your new drive and install your
favorite flavor of linux. Now, restore those partitions/directories you
backed up onto the new drive (also using rsync). You still have the
originals on the older machine just in case.

   I use dirvish to back up my server/workstation and have used rsync to do a
bare-metal restore onto a new hard drive. Dirvish uses rsync under the hood
so I know this is a good approach.

   The pros here will correct me.