[PLUG] Move home directory to new HD

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 17:09:58 UTC 2015

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:03:01 -0700
Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> dijo:

>So I am all ears as to how to do it properly. The last time I did this
>of course the machine created a home directory for my login, but
>I had to go in and replace it with my original home directory after the
>whole thing had been created, then like now the disk was a clean new
>disk, and I copied the home directory from another disk. I am thinking
>to go ahead and move the home directory to the new disk prior to
>installing OS as I always set up a separate partition for the home
>directory.

The last time I did this I backed up just ~/ to an external disk, and
then did a fresh install of Linux. The computer had an SSD where I
wanted to install both / and ~/, but in separate partitions. The
installation procedures provide for partitioning and formatting, so I
just created the two partitions, designated them as / and ~/, and
proceeded with the installation. Once the installation was complete I
copied everything from the external drive to the new ~/ partition.

Everything went perfectly, except that Xfce (my favorite desktop) keeps
a separate folder for things that are supposed to appear in the Settings
Manager GUI, and I ended up with two copies of some of them. As a
result, those that were duplicated failed to appear in the Settings
Manager window. It took a long time to figure this out. Otherwise, all
the preferences, plugins, add-ons and extensions for all my programs
(Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.) were exactly as they were before.

I have become a firm believer in keeping ~/ as a separate partition.