[PLUG] Move home directory to new HD

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Mar 29 22:19:32 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 08:03:01AM -0700, Chuck Hast wrote:
> ... I am going to > set up a new machine ...
> ...  would like to do it in one fell swoop without having to
> go in and fix issues ...

A seamless transition may be possible with superb skill, but
plan on fixing stuff.  I have made this kind of transition a
dozen times, and there are always surprises, often caused by
autoinstaller software autofailing, device and driver changes,
OS changes, etc.   Write Lots Of Notes This Time.

Ditto regards rsync, backups, etc.  For the newer hardware,
you may choose to use a newer distro, file system, disk
partitioning software.  Some points:

1) I've used fdisk forever, but it fails with >1TB disks, so
now may be a good time to learn how to use "parted" and GPT
partition tables instead of fdisk and dos-style tables.
Someday you won't be able to find a disk smaller than 2TB.

2) Use the same UID and GID numbers for individual users
and groups as you did on the old machine, if possible.

3) Besides making backups, spend some time looking at your
current collections of files and directories, especially the
invisible dot files.  AFTER making your backups, temporarily
move the stuff YOU KNOW you don't need any more into a
temporary directory for disposal, and be ready to put it
back when you goof.  Simplify your migration, leave old
baggage behind.  And check the oddball UIDs, GIDs, and
permissions that have accumulated in your home directory
over time.

4) When you set up the newer system, you will be thrust head
first into the swamp of "improvements" that a decade of bored
windows wannabees have imposed on quirky but reliable Gnome and
other basic tools.  I get cranky when I encounter such gratuitous
impositions;  I want to change all the wall sockets in the
perpetrator's house to those of a different country, and relocate
their car's steering wheel.  But the software is free/gratis,
which means soup-kitchen rules:  eat the smelly crap and say
thank you.

4a) For Gnome, you will be looking at a lot of older configuration
parameters and trying to find out what became of them in with
Gnome 3 - now With Tint Control.  Keep the old system alive until
the new system is up and hobbling and duplicate your settings as
best you can.  Look online for answers ... but sadly, Google is
no longer your friend ( "do you mean Nome, Alaska?" ) so plan on
frustration there.  Write down what you learn and share it with
the web, and someday, when someone else redevelops a usable
search engine, your writings (date them and add version numbers
please!) will help others.

4b) I suggest you lay in a couple of cords of firewood logs and
an axe, and split firewood to work off steam.  A rifle and a tall
campus tower may seem to offer a more gratifying catharsis, but
the SWAT team will disagree with your mode of self-expression.

5) The difference between hair and hard drives is that hair
pulled out by the roots cannot be replaced.  I like to buy
spare hard drives (they are very cheap these days) and have a
working disk and a spare disk of my basic stuff.  So, as you
build and decorate your new system, have a minimal working
system on another drive that you can use when you screw up
royally.  Or that you can try XFCE with if Gnome becomes
unbearable.  Or whatever.  Hard drives hardly ever go to
waste in the long run, while tonsorial self-removal can
lead to bleeding scalp and expensive hat purchases.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com