[PLUG] Dual boot Windoze 8.1, Linux Mint 17.1 64 bit

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Fri May 15 21:03:08 UTC 2015

Brian:
Thanks for your response. In my experience, you are right on as to
install Windows first.

The situation is that my brother bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1.
He used to have a laptop (that was stolen a few days ago) that I had set
up dual boot for him. That machine was a legacy (non EUFI) machine. I
have tried several times and different combinations with this new
machine, EUFI enabled and then disabled, using some directions I googled
up. Each time after an install, the machine boots right into Windows
with no option to select another OS.

I was hoping someone with this experience and knowledge would be at the
clinic this Sunday.

Wayne

On 05/15/2015 12:22 PM, Brian Martin wrote:
> On 05/15/2015 12:00 PM, plug-request at lists.pdxlinux.org wrote:
>> Not having any luck making a dual boot system. Tried it with UEFI /
>> secure boot enabled and disabled. Has anybody else has success with this?
> I haven't tried that particular combination, but I've certainly had a
> number of dual-boot (or tri-boot) systems that include Windows and
> Linux.  The key usually is to install the Windows system first, then add
> the Linux system.  All the Linux distros I've used know how to include
> the existing Windows system as a menu option in their boot loaders,
> whereas Windows will just tromp over and existing Linux installation
> without making any accommodations for it.
>
>                             -Brian

Sent from my Linux Computer