[PLUG] Dual boot Windoze 8.1, Linux Mint 17.1 64 bit

Wayne E. Van Loon wevl at pacifier.com
Fri May 15 23:34:10 UTC 2015

Ken:
Thanks for your reply. I did not take all the precautions such as taking
an image of the existing drive, but I pretty much did as you
recommended. I used the Windows utility to shrink the C: partition.

The Linux Mint installer does not offer a option to have the two OSes
coexist, it's take the whole disk for Linux Mint or "Something else". I
choose the something else and repartitioned the free space into 10 GB
for / , 4GB for swap, 400+ GB for /home and install. At the conclusion
of installing, when I reboot into the operating system, no grub menu,
just boots into Windows.

I also tried running sudo grub-install from a xterm after installing but
before rebooting, but I can't get that to run successfully. I've tried
mounting the / partition (sda6) on /mnt and chroot /mnt, etc., still no
luck with grub-install.

Again, thanks very much for the time that you took to try to help me.

Wayne

I take the something else and point