[PLUG] VGA still useful?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Wed Nov 4 18:24:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 03:41:45PM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> I'm (again) toying with the idea of a new laptop. As I look at models I see ... VGA?
> Is VGA still needed for projectors? If not I see no need for it.

I give lots of presentations, using a smaller, older laptop
with HD15 ("VGA" and other resolutions) video.  The docking
cradle has DVI, but I prefer not to lug along the extra weight,
so I have a HD15 to DVI and HDMI adapter.

About 10% of venue projectors are old and HD15 only, about 10%
are HDMI only screens, most have more than one interface, some
have all three, and even have ethernet.  Most problems stem
from projector and screen aspect ratio, with older systems
using 4:3 and newer systems using 16:10 or 16:9 or some
other media-focused aspect ratio.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com