[PLUG] Re4: ... Networking & HP-Printer Probs ...

Charles charles at gov1.us
Fri Nov 6 23:15:21 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 05:53 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Charles wrote:
>
>> All machines except the printer are connected wirelessly; to the Router
>> supplied by WaveBroadband, which i believe is this Router-Model, here:
>
> Charles,
>
>     Are you using DHCP or static IP addresses?

I do not know how to find this data, Rich.
I do know the diff between
static & dynamic ip-addresses;
& i presume you mean dynamic when you reference "DHCP";
but i do not know how to confirm
which method is being used on my system.

>     What is in /etc/hosts?

from cli, when i go there, i see:
-rw-r--r--  1 root root      236 Oct  9 12:50 hosts

>> The precise ip-address it is trying to go to, is:
>> ipps://charles-ThinkPad-T500.local:631/printers/Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-4100-Series
>
>     That might be how CUPS is configured, but it's not an IP address.

Yes; i knew something was screwy.

> Your local area network (LAN) is likely to be 192.168.1.0;
> check your router's admin pages
> (or the label on the rear or bottom for the default IP address).

I saw nothing to indicate an ip-address
on the bottom-label of the router, Rich.

However; I think Wes helped us discover that it is:
192.168.0.106

>> Two old book-marks to the printer read:
>> http://192.168.1.110/
>> http://192.168.1.109/hp/device/this.LCDispatcher
>
>> Both of them return the message:
>> "Unable to connect".
>
>     I've no idea if a printer can connect via DHCP or if it needs a static IP
> address.
>
>     Have you tried pinging the two IP addresses?

Yes, both 109 & 110, failed to ping.

>> Done; previously.
>> I can not get the re-install job completed.
>>
>> I can not get past the demand for a password
>> to enter a "Workgroup".
>
>     Needs the root password (root tends to be the default admin).

I tried "root", & that did not allow me access.

>     I wonder if the printer is on a different subnet from the wireless
> laptops.

Perhaps. it is connected by ethernet.

>     More experienced folks than I can offer better advice on diagnosing the
> specific problem source.

We seem to be making progress.
Thanks much.