[PLUG] Re4: ... Networking & HP-Printer Probs ...

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 6 23:47:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015, Charles wrote:

> I do not know how to find this data, Rich. I do know the diff between
> static & dynamic ip-addresses; & i presume you mean dynamic when you
> reference "DHCP"; but i do not know how to confirm which method is being
> used on my system.

   Somewhere, the ubuntus store information on network configuration. I don't
use that distribution but on Slackware it's in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf and
looks like this:

# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]="192.168.55.1"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

with equivalent sections for each network interface, including wlan0.

>>     What is in /etc/hosts?
>
> from cli, when i go there, i see:
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root      236 Oct  9 12:50 hosts

   That's what you get with 'ls -la'; try 'less /etc/hosts' to see the
contents of that file. It will tell you what hosts are recognized on the
network.

> Perhaps. it is connected by ethernet.

   Then it may well be on a separate sub-net from the wireless laptops.
That's an issue that I've not resolved in my network. Here, all
ethernet-connected hosts have static IP addresses in the sub-net
192.168.55.0/24, but the WiFi access point is on sub-net 192.168.1.0/24. So,
a wireless connection from a laptop cannot access the printers, any more
than if that laptop was located at a coffee shop and connected through their
WiFi access point to the 'Net and wanted to print to a LAN printer here.

   If there is a solution to this I'd be very interested in learning how to
communicate across sub-nets.