[PLUG] Networking & HP-Printer Probs

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 02:46:22 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 04:56 PM, plug-request at lists.pdxlinux.org wrote:
> on a switched network, this only works if the system whose arp table you're
> examining has successfully communicated with the printer at some point.
>
> this method is often combined with an IP range port scan to try to populate
> the arp table for later viewing. but that is more complicated than we would
> really want to try to explain to a new user.
>
> -wes
"All machines except the printer are connected wirelessly; to Charles>
the Router supplied by WaveBroadband, which i believe is this Charles>
My router & printer are connected with an ethernet cable."

True, except it's not a switched network, it's a routed network and
routers don't pass broadcasts such as arp or dhcp requests. The router
will have its own mac address table with an entry for the printer that
it has a direct ethernet connection to and will respond the arp request
from the pc on the wlan with the mac addr of the printer.

This really is step one for troubleshooting a problem such as this. If
you can't verify layer 1 & layer 2 network connectivity it really
doesn't make sense to go chasing driver or configuration issuses.

"this method is often combined with an IP range port scan to try to
populate the arp table for later viewing. but that is more complicated
than we would really want to try to explain to a new user."

No. A port scan of an ip range is not necessary. A simple "netstat -a |
grep <port#>" will do the trick  to see if there is network printer
connectivity.

HP printer ports:

Printing

  * UDP ports: 427, 137, 161