[PLUG] Small network managed switch?

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Mon Nov 16 17:06:39 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 12:52 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
> Wayne> I have a customer that would like me to use a managed network
> Wayne> switch in my next control system. It's a very small network, <8
> Wayne> ports needed for my ethernet I/O. I have never used a managed
> Wayne> network switch. I am aghast at the prices!
>
> Wayne> Anybody have a recommendation of something to look at?
>
> What features do you need?
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I have a system in the plant
already. I does some distributed processing optimization between 5 ea.
hex core machines, total of 30 cores. It was originally 36 cores but one
control location in the plant was eliminated and that hex core machine
is sitting on the shelf in case they have a failure and need a spare. I
am using some sort of SOHO switch that is doing the job.

One member of the family that owns the plant also owns some sort of a
business computing consulting or services company. He wishes that I had
used a managed switch so he could know how busy my network was and I
don't know what else a managed switch would tell him.

I am about to do another project for them and this time they want me to
provide a managed switch. I am about to throw it back to them, finish my
quotation with SOHO switch, when they get back to me with a managed
switch model, I'll order it and bill them for it separately.

Wayne