[PLUG] Odd display of .pdf in Firefox on Ubuntu 14.04

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 16 17:10:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015, Dick Steffens wrote:

> That's why I was wondering if Firefox uses a pdf reader as a tool to
> display a .pdf, and if somehow it is different from the Document Viewer
> program in Ubuntu 14.04.

Dick,

   In the firefox frame, when you follow the menus Edit -> Preferences ->
Applications what do you have for an application for PDFs?

   Here, (firefox-38.4.0; Slackware stays way back from the bleeding edges),
my preference is to 'Save File' while the other options are 'xpdf (default,'
'Adobe Reader 9.5 in firefox,' and 'Other.' Perhaps selecting 'Other' and
specifying what you want to use will help.

   xpdf (at least the Slackware-14.1 version) does not handle pdf-1.6 or -1.7
which is commonly used now by almost all microserfs; mupdf is an alternative
that works with all PDF versions.

HTH,