[PLUG] Xfinity cable modem suggestions?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Nov 26 07:23:47 UTC 2015

>>>>> "jgw" == jgw  <jgw at sdf.org> writes:

Larry> Arris Surfboard wifi version with 802.3AC1900.
Larry> http://shop.surfboard.com/

>> FWIW, even when you buy and own the cable modem it is under Comcast
>> control.  The first 15 minutes after you hook it up is them loading
>> their own firmware onto the thing.  Having Comcast in control of the
>> wifi is suboptimal, in my opinion.  I recommend a bridging device,
>> one coax, one ethernet, no wifi on the device, so that you can
>> control the network on your side.  The SB6141 is such a device.  Hook
>> up your own gateway and wifi router that Comcast doesn't control.

jgw> Ah, okay - thanks for pointing that out.  I'm a bit surprised they
jgw> would expect to be able to update firmware on hardware they don't
jgw> own.  I had more or less decided I'd go the descrete component
jgw> route anyway simply because I have most of the other bits already;
jgw> now I'd another good reason to do so.  I'll be cheking out a
jgw> craigslist find tomorrow, an Arris TM822G, that seems new enough,
jgw> is just a modem, and even has a backup battery.

jgw> Thanks for the suggestions!

The other upside is that when you want to implement IPv6, it is
relatively easy when you control the gateway router at the IP level.
The interface they provide on their routing cable modems is not very
featureful.

And another this is if the cable modem doesn't have wifi, they can't turn
on their annoying xfinitywifi piggyback gimmick.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net