[PLUG] PLUG Call For Participation

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Thu Nov 26 08:20:46 UTC 2015

Hello all,

In my continuing effort to making a conference warrior out of each and
every one of you, I wish to remind you of PLUG's open CFP.

While PLUG will continue to have "invited talks", I know that you each
have a fascinating talk up your sleeve. You are guaranteed to have
unique experiences and someone surely wants to hear about them. Stories
of failure can be just as good as stories of success. What new tool
changed the way you work?

Don't be shy! PLUG is just about the easiest place to present and I will
even help you with your proposal and outline.

Submissions should include:

A 50 to 300 word description/abstract of the talk

Optional speaker(s) bio(s)

Optional slides to be posted at pdxlinux.org

Optional handouts

Optional extended abstract and full academic paper

Your availability (1st Thursday or 3rd Tuesday and month)

Yes, some conferences require all of these but PLUG is about as flexible
as it gets. I think we've had everything short of extended abstracts and
papers. What is an academic paper? I consider it a formal historic
snapshot of a project you are working on that clearly communicates what
you set out to do and what you achieved. Tweets and blog posts are nice
but it is very rewarding to establish a point of reference that with
luck, will be referred to for decades. One such point of reference is
Popek and Goldberg's definitive paper on Virtualization from 1974:

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/courses/fall14/CSCI-GA.3033-010/popek-goldberg.pdf

Any topic can be interesting if addressed from the right perspective and
at the right depth. Yes, you are the local or possibly world expert on
something and it's just a question of determining what that something
is. If it is of interest to you, it certainly is of interest to someone
else.

Send your talk proposals to me at dexter at ambidexter.com or to the list
CC'ing me for peer review and ideas.

I look forward to your submissions!