[PLUG] Networking & HP-Printer Probs ... Building Community; Tekies & End-Users ... (... Remote Desktop & Virtual Network Connections ...)

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sun Nov 29 00:09:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Charles <charles at gov1.us> wrote:

> On 11/27/2015 09:17 PM, wes wrote:
>
>> if we can get on a video call,
>> you can press buttons and I can observe the response
>>

> I do not comprehend how
> a video-program installed on my computer
> is going to enable you to observe
> the response of my printer.

I am referring to the use of a camera, like a webcam or a phone's built-in
camera. You would point it at the printer while pressing the buttons.

> And i am inclined to believe
> my printer's configurations are where
> this main problem is centered.

Me too. And there are some concepts you should come to understand which
would be best discussed in an interactive format.

> and give instructions for the next step in real time.
>>

> I presume that you are suggesting
> that we construct a system where you can
> just observe what is happening on my laptop-computer;
> which would eliminate many variables
> in our efforts to get the printer working.

At this stage I need to see the printer, not the computer.

> it would save considerable driving time for either of us. I'm in tigard.
>>

> It would definately be good if we could figure a way
> to get a handle on this problem remotely.
>
> Tigard is quite a ways away,
> yes, "considerable driving-time".
>
> google chat, facebook, iphone's facetime, etc.
>> surely there is some overlap in
>> our use of technology we can use to our advantage here.
>>

> I would really enjoy trying to solve this problem
> thru ssh or some virtual-networking system.
>
> I have a bit of a mental-block against
> investing time/energy in large corporations proprietary technology.

Ha! Understood, all too well. But as you say, at some point need outweighs
philosophical stance.

-wes