[PLUG] systemd

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:29:19 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To me, an uninformed and basically ignorant Linux user, this exchange
> appears to be an argument (sometimes nasty) between two philosophers.
> Because, as is the case in all philosophical arguments, the vocabulary is
> esoteric I cannot profit from reading the dialog.  Not to say that my lack
> of understanding is typical of other readers.
>
> Are there any readers of this discussion having a suitable pedagogical bent
> willing to present the issues to those needing education?

The older init systems have had a bunch of problems, and workarounds, built
into them over the years.

A newer init system attempted to solve a bunch of problems, and in doing
so, broke with established conventions, so it both fixed stuff, and broke
stuff.

There is a lot of argument over the importance and value of the fixes,
individually, and in aggregate, as well as the breaks, individually and in
aggregate.

Beyond that, I can't really do justice to explaining the arguments without
weighing in (even accidentally)  with opinions... suffice to say that
because the init system is a very broadly used portion of the operating
system, it has a very large number of user opinions that come with it.

-Ronabop