[PLUG] Need New Video Card Today

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 23 20:01:42 UTC 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   The built-in video on my server/workstation failed a couple of times in
> the past few weeks (no signal to the monitor), but a hard reboot fixed the
> problem. This morning it failed again and refuses to work at all. I need to
> buy a replacement card today.

   The problem has escalated. While I was out getting a video card at Free
Geek the system died. Long story short, a rest allowed it to boot but the
new card makes no difference. Ergo, finishing the new box has become the
highest priority. Which leads to my next two questions ...

   1)  I have two options: install Slackware-14.1/64-bit on th enew hard
drive, iostall the multilb libraries, move databases and other applications
over, and rebuild all SlackBuilds.org packages (since the existing
server/workstation runs 32-bit Slackware-14.1).

   2)  Install the current sda in the new box. get the system running, then
install, build, configure everything on the larger new hard drive while it's
connected externally.

   I think the second option gets me a functioning server/workstation more
quickly and seek your thoughts on this issue. It's the end of the month next
week so a fully functional system is needed.