[PLUG] Configuring Dual SSD/spinning HD System

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 23 21:21:50 UTC 2015

   The new system has a 60G SSD drive and a 750G WD Caviar Black drive. I've
read enough to know that the SSD drive needs to be tuned to work well with
linux (and I have a bookmarked Web page with explicit instructions and
explanations for that). But, what I've not found to my satisfaction are 1)
what file system(s) to use on each drive and 2) what partitions to put on
the SSD.

   One forum thread suggested putting /, /boot, /bin, /etc, and /usr on the
SSD drive since they have fewer writes than do /usr/local, /opt, /home,
/var, and /tmp. The latter group go on the conventional, spinning HD.

   Another thread (on a Ubuntu forum) was by a user who had problems booting
from the SSD; he could not partition it, IIRC.

   I'll be running only Slackware on this system (as I do on all my hosts),
and I suspect that the distribution flavor makes no difference in selecting
an appropriate file system (or two) and a partitioning scheme.

   All your suggestions and recommendations are eagerly awaited. :-)