[PLUG] Configuring Dual SSD/spinning HD System

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Fri Oct 23 22:22:41 UTC 2015

Rich,

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 2:43 PM, Ken Stephens <kens at cad2cam.com> wrote:
>
> Rich Shepard wrote:
>>    The new system has a 60G SSD drive and a 750G WD Caviar Black drive. I've
>> read enough to know that the SSD drive needs to be tuned to work well with
>> linux (and I have a bookmarked Web page with explicit instructions and
>> explanations for that). But, what I've not found to my satisfaction are 1)
>> what file system(s) to use on each drive and 2) what partitions to put on
>> the SSD.

I would create one bootable partition on the SSD drive for everything that is not /var and /home. Then create two on the spinning platter drive, one for /var and one for /home.  These two directories are written to a lot more than the others.  Unless you are dealing with very large files, EXT4 should be good enough.

Good luck,

Derek Loree