[PLUG] Configuring Dual SSD/spinning HD System

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Oct 23 22:27:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Ken Stephens wrote:

> Rich Shepard wrote:

>>     The new system has a 60G SSD drive and a 750G WD Caviar Black
>> drive. I've read enough to know that the SSD drive needs to be
>> tuned to work well with linux (and I have a bookmarked Web page
>> with explicit instructions and explanations for that). But, what
>> I've not found to my satisfaction are 1) what file system(s) to use
>> on each drive and 2) what partitions to put on the SSD.
>>
>>     One forum thread suggested putting /, /boot, /bin, /etc, and
>> /usr on the SSD drive since they have fewer writes than do
>> /usr/local, /opt, /home, /var, and /tmp. The latter group go on the
>> conventional, spinning HD.
>>
>>     Another thread (on a Ubuntu forum) was by a user who had
>> problems booting from the SSD; he could not partition it, IIRC.
>>
>>     I'll be running only Slackware on this system (as I do on all
>> my hosts), and I suspect that the distribution flavor makes no
>> difference in selecting an appropriate file system (or two) and a
>> partitioning scheme.
>>
>>     All your suggestions and recommendations are eagerly awaited.
>
> Rich,
>
> 60GB is big enough to put all your system files on that.  Put your
> /home on the spinning drive.  You will never run out of space.  It
> will be at least as fast as your previous system seemed when you
> first loaded it up.

I'd tend to agree with this, assuming the SSD isn't old and/or used.
If it's fairly new, there's little chance you'll "wear it out" unless
you're doing high-frequency i/o 24x7.

If the drive is old (say, more than three years), then you might
consider putting /var on your spinning platter along with /home.

Some older mainboards have trouble booting from an SSD when there's a
tradition HD alongside it. I suspect testing is the only way to know.

In general, though, I'm with Ken: put your OS on the SSD.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W