[PLUG] Configuring Dual SSD/spinning HD System

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Oct 26 15:45:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015, Galen Seitz wrote:

>> Over the years this issue repeats on the slackware mail list or
>> linuxquestions. Purists say all executables should go in /usr and
>> custom-built, company-specific applications should be installed in
>> /usr/local. Yet, applications such as google-earth and jgnash
>> install by default in /opt. To me it's similar to asking if you
>> keep your wallet in the left or right pocket of you pants.
>
> Stuff you build yourself generally goes in /usr/local, and
> third-party applications generally go in /opt.

I think this is the most widespead interpretation. Red Hat installs
its non-standard packages (the Software Collections) in /opt/rh. It's
true in the land of Solaris clones like OmniOS; third-party software
goes into /opt. Even on my Macs, third-party package distributor
MacPorts installs into /opt.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com