[PLUG] imap server that allows ssl certificate based authentication?

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Mon Oct 26 23:56:35 UTC 2015

> Courier is v4.9.1 - it was chosen years ago and the decision has not be revisited. Not that I'm adverse to doing so.

I recently chose dovecot over courier and it has been working out
pretty well.  If it has integrated certificate support and isn't too
hard to set up, that might be your best option.  I considered doing
that as well, but since my cell phone email client didn't support
client certificates at the time, I never followed through.

> stunnel would work, I'll weigh it vs coercing imap server to fit my whim.

In past projects I've always found stunnel to be confusing and buggy.
There are several versions of it and the newer versions just seemed to
confuse things more.  Recently I've switched to socat for similar
features.  It's far more of a swiss army knife, but also more
intuitive for me.  I've never looked into using it for IMAP access
(and how you'd handle user identity info, or whatever) so it would be
a DIY project of sorts, but it is worth looking into.

> I now have a working system and the improvements will be incremental.
>
> FWIW - this all started when I wanted to run mutt from my laptop instead of sshing to my server for email.
> In past trials I've found Thunderbird to be slow and ugly and web mail options to be cumbersome.

sshfs might be an option, though probably slow...

HTH,
tim