[PLUG] Resolved: VirtualBox Question

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Oct 31 00:15:57 UTC 2015

On 10/30/2015 02:56 PM, Russell Johnson wrote:
>> On Oct 30, 2015, at 12:35, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried that. Win7 complains. I'm assuming it's because of the MS
>> protection system seeing it's on a different drive.
> Usually, the system will ask if you moved the image, or if you copied it.
>
> I’m not entirely sure what VirtualBox does, but both VMWare and Parallels ask that question when it thinks it’s on a different machine.
>
> If you answer, “I moved it”, life goes on without an issue. If you answer, “I copied it”, then it sets Windows so that it is inactivated, and requires you to go through the activation process again.

I tried exporting it and moving it some months ago and learned that
Windows didn't like that. I don't recall the details, and I wasn't in a
hurry, so I put off dealing with it. So what I did this morning was to
use the already created virtual machine on 14.04 but point it to the
image on the 12.04 drive.

Thanks for the details.

--
Regards,