[PLUG] When is it necessary to escape spaces in file names?

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:11:52 UTC 2015

I am trying to set up dirvish for local backup.  One file, VirtualBox VMs,
presents the subject question.  In dirvish, the name will appear in two
places:  The exclude: entry in the default.conf file for the backup of all
of home, and in the tree: entry in the default.conf file for the backup
of VirtualBox VMs

I can run a bunch of tests, but I would like some understanding when
 escaping the space is needed.  Should I be using the backslash or double
quotes?

I have looked at the documents for rsync, which dirvish uses, but it is too
dense for my soft head.

Thanks,
-Denis