[PLUG] system won't complete bring up, now what?

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 17:55:47 UTC 2015

To all:

I accidentally erased part of the /usr partition on an openSUSE v13.2
linux system, but had already performed a backup of the whole system.
The /usr partition has been restored from that backup, but now the
system hangs during the boot and subsequent bring up process.

Here's what it splashes to the screen:

[ OK ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen
[ OK ] Reached Target Paths.
[ OK ] Reached target Basic System.
[ OK ] Found device WDC_WD5003ABYX-0.
[ OK ] Started dracut initqueue hook.
[ OK ] Reached target Remote File Systems (Pre).
[ OK ] Reached target Remote File Systems.
        Starting dracut pre-mount hook...
[ OK ] Started dracut pre-mount hook.
        Starting File System Check on
/dev/disk/by-uuid/dc78f4e7-a028-428c-9e01-7110328811ff...
[ OK ] Started File System Check on
/dev/disk/by-uuid/dc78f4e7-a028-428c-9e01-7110328811ff.
        Mounting /sysroot...
[ OK ] Mounted /sysroot.
[ OK ] Reached target Initrd Root File System.
        Starting Reload Configuration from the Real Root...
[ OK ] Started Reload Configuration from the Real Root.
[ OK ] Reached target Initrd File Systems.
[ OK ] Reached target Initrd Default Target.
Welcome to openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)!

and that is it, the system hangs up at this point.

Questions:

1. Is the system running a very long file system check on the drive
mentioned above?  I waited for about 10 or 15 minutes thinking that
perhaps the file system checking was stalling the bring up.

2. Is there any way to dump or log?  I cannot bring up a recovery
console yet at this point of the boot-up process. I suppose one could
boot up Knoppix and then take a look at the messages in the /var/log area?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Randall