[PLUG] I also will bring an old iBook G-4

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 00:12:44 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Vedanta Teacher <
orevedantateacher at gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
>   Thank You, it still runs well; it just over heats with excessive use.
> I don't think it's fast enough for the newer Mac OS systems.

[snip]

Yeah Apple left behind this series LONG ago.  If it doesn't have an Intel
Core series CPU (Core i5, Core i7), no Mac OS X Yosemite or etc for you...

But Linux, come on down and join the party!

> > >  I also have an old iBook G-4 I'll bring too. It is Tiger OSX 10.4,
> > >37.46 gig HD, 1.5 gig ram. I "think" it's an old Motorola CPU.

[snip]

Now that's going back even further than this one.
Motorola M68k CPUs were in the much earlier Macs (the original up through
the Power Mac line in '94), if you have a G4 iBook, it has a PowerPC "G4"
CPU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_G4

I have a couple G3 Powerbooks (black plastic case) lying around somewhere,
I put Ubuntu on at least one of them, it ran just fine (although maybe kind
of slow).
I also have a G4 Powerbook (aluminum) that overheated and also the DC jack
is loose.  Repairing it would involve completely disassembling it which I
haven't been up to doing, so it too is sitting around somewhere ;).  I
think those G3's still have SCSI on them... ;)

Whatever you chose, have fun!

---

Matt M
LinuxKnight