[PLUG] Ubuntu boot problem - what files to replace?

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:09:42 UTC 2015

On 09/18/2015 06:49 PM, jim karlock wrote:

> My ZOTAC with Ununtu LTS 14.04 LTS & 60G SSD boots to password
> request, but won't take keyboard or mouse input.
>
> I have replaced the drive, did a fresh install from the same CD. Now
> I would like to fix the problem with the other drive.
>
> Can anyone tell me what files or directories to just replace from the
> fresh install? (Replacing too many files probably won't be a problem,
> but I would like to preserve the user files and settings.)
>
> Thanks
> JK

Sounds like the mouse an keyboard modules aren't loading. Are you using
USB or PS/2 port devices?  Check also that the UDEV stuff is running.
Its not just a "what can I copy" since you need to fix a possible
problem with the kernel modules, UDEV, start up scripts etc.  Perhaps
you can "chroot" into the old drive from the new install, for example:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BasicChroot

Then you can take a look at logs, start up scripts and/or reinstall
suspect packages.

Alternatively, you can just copy the /home/<username>/ dot directories
over from the old drive to the new.  You'll have to poke around to see
which ones are important, .config and .local definitely, and maybe .ssh
or [ .mozilla || .firefox ]  etc.

-Ed