[PLUG] Setup git inside emacs on MacOS?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Apr 13 15:15:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016, eehouse wrote:

> Been using git inside emacs for 10 years it seems, but always on
> Debian Linux (where setup is as simple as apt-get installing the
> emacs and git-el packages.) Now a new job has handed me a Macbook
> Pro. Code's kept in git, and I have emacs working (with projectile,
> even), but I can't figure out how to install or enable git
> integration.
>
> Specifically, I want M-x git-status to work.

I don't use emacs these days, but as a longtime Mac user I'm
interested to know if you're using /usr/bin/emacs or something else.

If the former, I'd highly suggest you install the Xcode development
package from Apple, along with its command-line tools subpackage, and
use MacPorts or homebrew to install a custom emacs. You'll probably
have better luck getting it to work as you'd prefer.