[PLUG] Slightly OT: Good HTML design books

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:56:33 UTC 2016

On 04/14/2016 12:31 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> All my web pages are pre-cellphone, and Google has already bitched at me
> about formatting.
>
> At this point I'm pretty sure that I should be using HTML 5.0 -- but I'm
> not sure.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book for web page design that'll bring me up
> to date?  I've got several sites that I take care of that I'd like to
> start updating.
>
> Thanks.

Rather than a book, I'd recommend a framework/toolkit that supports
"responsive design", i.e. code a page once  and let the framework adjust
its appearance based on the size & orientation of the browser window.
Google's Angular.js is the framework I've used. It uses client-side
javascript for rendering, copes well with all the major browsers and
with html 4 and 5. You code in both html and javascript, and the
framework offers a slew of higher-level functions for rendering
specialized layouts and controls.

The downside is that it's a framework and takes some learning.; the
upside is that there's a ton of good online tutorials and support (and a
few physical books) because it's a very successful Google tool.  Whether
it's too much for your needs only you can determine.

HTH,