[PLUG] Cron advice needed

Richard England rlengland at frontier.com
Sat Apr 23 20:09:25 UTC 2016

On 04/22/2016 10:21 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>     15 3 * * * cp -auf /home/<user>/Mail <backup_directory>
Your understanding, as others have confirmed, is correct.

> For example,
> where in Cron do I place this command? I see that Cron is running as I
> write this, so so I just enter the above command (edited for locations,
> of course) at a command line? How does the command line know I am
> calling Cron?

Start by entering
     crontab -e

This will open the default editor that the $EDITOR environment variable
defines, as Paul indicated.

Enter the line above with appropriate modifications, save the file and
exit the editor. If you want to verify what you have just done use the
list command:

     crontab -l

Hope that helps.

~~ρε