[PLUG] Enabling USB backup of Android Moto G

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Apr 28 00:35:29 UTC 2016

I am experimenting with two Android phones (setting them
up for my wife).  I've got adb ( adb = Android Debug
Bridge version 1.0.3) running on a 64 bit 3.10 kernel
Linux laptop, which I connect to the microUSB port on
the phones.  Both phones are updated to 5.1 Lollipop.

adb backup doesn't work on the older Motorola moto G.
I haven't figured out why.  It does connect to Linux
and show the contents of the picture folder on the Mate
desktop, acting like a camera.  Suggestions?  HELP???

The new and acceptably brickable phone, a Motorola
Moto E model XT1527, does an "adb backup" just fine.
I will attempt a wipe and "adb restore" Real Soon Now.

I prefer to rely on Google as little as possible, and
to slim down the bloatware.  Both phones will have some
of my wife's patient information on them, much more on
the E.  While I would prefer to keep /everything/ medical
on the E, my wife is has less IT discipline (hence my
involvement and concern for the G).  If she loses a
phone, I want to be able to remotely wipe it without
worrying about data recovery.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com