[PLUG] Word List

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Mon Aug 1 21:29:43 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 01:58:51PM -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
> I feel a need for some concentrated word play.
>
> Is there a word list (i.e., a spelling dictionary or similar) that would
> (A) be found in most standard Linux distributions (or at least Ubuntu),
> and (B) be in plain text format or some other easy-to-parse format?
>
> I'd like to be able to do regex searches on all the words in the English
> language.

/usr/share/dict/<somefile> used to be the standard.
Improved spell checkers don't use an alpabetical plain text file anymore.

well, that's disappointing.

Aspell has some binary format.

You might install the mythes package - its word index is <WORD>|<somenum>
so you can parse that.

A bit of Googling brought good news though.
https://superuser.com/questions/137957/how-to-convert-aspell-dictionary-to-simple-list-of-words

replace the PL given in the example with en and you'll have a list of words.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity