[PLUG] Word List

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Aug 1 21:45:52 UTC 2016

On 8/1/2016 3:58 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> I feel a need for some concentrated word play.
>
> Is there a word list (i.e., a spelling dictionary or similar) that would
> (A) be found in most standard Linux distributions (or at least Ubuntu),
> and (B) be in plain text format or some other easy-to-parse format?
>
> I'd like to be able to do regex searches on all the words in the English
> language.

Sir, be careful what you ask for. You *DID* say "_all_ the words
in the English language."

If you are looking "free" [as in free beer], there are lists of
the N most common English words [ N being a few thousand]. The
lists are aimed at English as Second Language. If you are looking
for rare words there are lists aimed a Scrabble(TM) players.
Never checked price or availability in electronic format. If you
don't mind a dated list that would need some pre-processing I
believe there are dictionaries in the Gutenberg Project.

YMMV ;/