[PLUG] Running out of disk space LVM...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Fri Aug 5 00:26:29 UTC 2016

Disks are fairly inexpensive.  Anything under IT, you can get an SSD
instead of a hard disk for a somewhat reasonable price.  Advantages are
higher speed and greater reliability.  If you have an existing Linux
system where you absolutely cannot lose the system but you need more
space, consider buying a bigger disk or add an SSD.  I think the
person's disk is 250G, so get a 500G SSD and dedicate the whole entire
disk to boot, swap, and /.  For 500G, an SSD will cost around $200 or
less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-850-EVO-500-GB-Internal-2-5-MZ-75E500B-
AM-SSD-/252467674737?hash=item3ac83efe71:g:mrkAAOSw0HVWC6yK

I've had very good luck with Samsung SSDs.

There should be a way with the LVM2 tools to copy / to a new disk or
SSD.  A 1 terabyte SSD isn't too expensive.  Consider /, boot, and swap
on a 1 TB disk or SSD.  If you copy your existing system to a larger
disk and disconnect the original drive, your chances of borking your
system beyond retrieval are lessened.

I'm not recommending E-Bay to buy an SSD, but I've bought a number of
these from E-Bay and haven't had any issues.