[PLUG] Shell script error explanation needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 11 15:49:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

> Be that as it may, the shell script would have said "/path/to/mail.list -
> file not found" if it was *using* that full path, so you are still (IMHO)
> looking for an unqualified pathname use.

   The test script ran correctly.

test-1.sh:

#!/bin/bash

while read LINE; do
ADDR=$(echo $LINE | cut -d: -f1)
GRTG=$(echo $LINE | cut -d: -f2)
m4 -D GREETING="$GRTG" test-1.m4 | mail -s 'Testing 1, 2, 3' $ADDR
done < test-mail.list

test-1.m4:

GREETING:

   This is a test message. That's all.

test-mail.list:

rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich
rshepard at twodogs.us:Rich

command issued:

at -f ~/test-1.sh 08:40 am

   I just verified that leaving off the '-f' flag prevents the command from
being added to the at queue; the shell reports:

syntax error. Last token seen: /
Garbled time

   Wonder what happened.

Thanks,