[PLUG] Minimalist network WinXP <-> Debian Jessie. How?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Tue Aug 16 15:43:44 UTC 2016

On 8/16/2016 10:15 AM, Jim Garrison wrote:
> On 8/16/2016 7:57 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I have two laptops:
>>     1. Lenovo T43 running WinXP Pro SP3
>>     2. Lenovo R61 running Debian Jessie (8.0.0)
>>
>> I have tired of swapping information via flash drive.
>> I would prefer to avoid WiFi from a security point of view.
>>     (Who? Moi? *PAIRANOID* ;)
>>
>> Would it be as simple as obtaining a short piece of Ethernet cable?
>>
>> What should I be reading?
>
> Minimal: A short CROSSOVER ethernet cable (might be hard to find).
>
> Better: An inexpensive 4-port switch and two short ethernet cables.
>
> In either case you will need to assign IP addresses and netmask
> manually.  I.e.
>
>      PC 1 - 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>      PC 2 - 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> The second option gives you the flexibility to have a 'real'
> local network with 1 or 2 more systems.

I was afraid that would be the shape of a real world answer.
My desk is already too cluttered with cables and power cords
It may be time to bite the bullet and learn to securely set up
WiFi of the Debian machine. I'm not too concerned about the WinXP
machine - have occasionally used WiFi for years when dialup
wasn't acceptable and a visit to local library was needed to get
large files.

I'm just not comfortable that comprehend Linux security
practices. I'll have to learn sometime. Suggested reading?

Thank you.