[PLUG] Minimalist network WinXP <-> Debian Jessie. How?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Aug 16 19:50:00 UTC 2016

On 08/16/2016 10:43 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Maybe I know even less about Wifi than I thought. I *ASSUMED* the
> two laptops would be able to communicate without an intermediary.
> I've got a T-mobile Z915 Hotspot which I use as a USB connected
> "cell modem) - Wifi turned off. Their documentation isn't the
> greatest. I don't recall it saying anything about communicating
> between two machines on the same hot spot. I got the impression
> it only connected multiple machines to the internet.

I have recently finished using my Verizon tablet as a hotspot. (I'm back
on Comcast, now.) It worked fine, but it used a lot of data. If you use
your hotspot, your communications will go out to the T-mobile system and
back again, so you'll end up using twice the data on your T-mobile plan
(assuming you don't have an unlimited data plan).

As others have said, just plug an Ethernet cable between the two
laptops, manually set IP addresses on them, and you're good to go. (At
least I think you would need to do the manual IP setup thing.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens