[PLUG] Minimalist network WinXP <-> Debian Jessie. How?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Aug 16 20:02:51 UTC 2016

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> writes:

Richard> I have two laptops: 1. Lenovo T43 running WinXP Pro SP3
Richard> 2. Lenovo R61 running Debian Jessie (8.0.0)

One thing is not clear, is this one-off copies or ongoing file sharing
between the two machines?

Richard> I have tired of swapping information via flash drive.  I would
Richard> prefer to avoid WiFi from a security point of view.  (Who? Moi?
Richard> *PAIRANOID* ;)

Use scp or rsync and you don't need to worry so much.

Richard> Would it be as simple as obtaining a short piece of Ethernet
Richard> cable?

Yes, or you could buy a cheap wireless access point, like, for example:
D-Link DIR-860L.

Richard> What should I be reading?

The main advantage of a router is that you get a DHCP server (so you
don't need to manually set up IP addresses) and can expand the network
beyond two devices.  Ethernet cables only has two ends.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net