[PLUG] Minimalist network WinXP <-> Debian Jessie. How?

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Wed Aug 17 22:10:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> I've eliminated anything "Wifi" from my "universe of discourse".
> Searching for 'ad-hoc ethernet' gives tantalizing, if not
> productive results.
> [e.g. http://techterms.com/definition/adhocnetwork ]

Used routers are easy enough to come by. ISP's regularly update them and
the old ones appear at Goodwill or on Craigslist. If you are careful you
might even find one that supports openwrt. That would allow you to play
around with Linux on your router and network your two laptops together.  A
lot of the newish routers have WiFi, but that can be turned off if you
don't want it.

Bill