[PLUG] Learning Linux Sys Admin & Linux/Open Source tools

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 19:54:39 UTC 2016

> Louis - Thank you for your reply.

Your responses compel me to be a bit more clear about some things.

"10) at some point, you will have to get into networking...."

-- I've over 10 yrs of work experience as a Network Engineer, in which I've
worked with Unix on Network Management platforms and I've used Linux
Networking tools for network troubleshooting. I've even built Linux test
boxes and run LAN / WAN networks through those text boxes to do network
traffic analysis.

I'm doing a lot of what you said, but learning scripting languages even as
a former Comp. Sci. major is kind of dry and uninteresting when there's not
a problem to solve or project deadline to meet. Not too event mention that
there are drums waiting to be played, bikes waiting to be ridden and
Network Engineer jobs a plenty.

I guess what I'm having difficulty with is that to me there doesn't seem to
be a clear and well defined development path.

For example, when I got into Network Engineering. I started out by taking
the TCP/IP exam of the MCSE than I self-studied for Cisco Certified Network
Administrator and got my first job as a Network Engineer without any
hands-on real world experience.

>From there, I was able have access to training, lab time, certifications
and projects that took me from a rank novice to a seasoned veteran in just
a few short years.

So what I've experienced over the years is a floundering at Jr. Linux Sys
Admin level as there's only so much I've been able to do on my own and
there doesn't seem to be many job opportunities for a Jr. Linux Sys Admin
to work under a Sr. Level Sys Admin and get good hands-on experience and
mentoring.

I realize it's my own personal struggle and everyone has walked their own
path to Linux Sys Admin greatness. The path seems a lot lot harder for to
my find than for a Network Engineer. The trail heads aren't very well
marked and the trails not very well mapped out.

Cheers,

Mike