[PLUG] Learning Linux Sys Admin & Linux/Open Source tools

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Aug 29 16:25:50 UTC 2016

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016, Mike C. wrote:

> I guess what I'm having difficulty with is that to me there doesn't
> seem to be a clear and well defined development path.

> I realize it's my own personal struggle and everyone has walked
> their own path to Linux Sys Admin greatness. The path seems a lot
> lot harder for to my find than for a Network Engineer. The trail
> heads aren't very well marked and the trails not very well mapped
> out.

There are certain skills that are basic competencies for any Linux
systems job. See Louis' very fine outline for the basics:

http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2016-August/084830.html

(I'd add to #8: build a virtualized network of several machine and
figure out how to leverage Puppet, cfengine, etc. to automate
configuration and customization.)

Beyond that, however, the difficulties you've encountered trying to
outline a career-development path are due to the idiosyncratic way
employers think about the jobs they're posting.

Few sysadmin jobs are best described as "support Linux." Linux is the
tool; it will be discarded when a new one proves its worth. Sysadmin
jobs are "support the tools (which happen to live in a Linux
infrastructure) that keep our enterprise viable."

You won't be selling Linux skills. They're required -- and will help
you improve the situation at your future employer -- but what you
really need to sell is your skills at leveraging computer
infrastructure to help an organization move forward.

That said, you can then think about the major markets for Linux
systems administrators:

* Educational institutions: user support, research focus, diverse
   computing environment, unclear lines of responsibilities.

* Small businesses: absolutely everything related to the computer and
   network lifecycle plus lots of tool-building on the cheap.

* Nonprofits: similar to small businesses, with a lower budget.

* Large enterprises: heavy specialization; probably need to know
   someone to get a serious interview.

* Government: similar to large enterprises with a slightly more open
   hiring process.

Take the time to learn the technical tools; they'll serve you well.
Unless you have deep knowledge of an unusual or difficult bit of
computing infrastructure (hardware or software), however, the tools
won't generally set you apart.

What a valued sysadmin really does is help people survive and
thrive in their sector of the economy.

That's how employers think about their sysadmin job postings, which is
why it can be tough to get a handle on what skills will get you an
interview.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W

PS: Just for thought: You're hiring cab drivers in Los Angeles and
have two final candidates: one a long-time Angelino familiar with the
area and one a long-time New York cabbie. Whom do you choose?