[PLUG] Learning Linux Sys Admin & Linux/Open Source tools

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 31 12:53:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Mike C. wrote:

> I agree and understand what you say abut "selling Linux skills",
> "leveraging computer infrastructure" and that the "Tools won't generally
> set me apart." I think that's more applicable to to people who have years
> of Linux Sys Admin work experience and not folks like me who are just
> trying to meet the minimum requirements just to get an interview.

Mike,

   From a non-computer-industry-professional perspective: responsible
managers (that is, those for whom you'd want to work) frequently seek those
who are adaptable and able to quickly learn new things. Every industry and
business changes (at the corporate level read the article from The Economist
on linux and AWS) and those that are early adopters who survive and thrive.

   The same principle applies to individuals. You might have experience with
a few tools which are not exactly what a potential employer is using (or
thinking of using) but that does not mean you could not quickly learn them
and become productive. Were I in your position I'd structure my CV and
resume (the former listing qualifications, the latter business
accomplishments on behalf of employers) and cover letters on the range of
responsibilities, tools, and situations you've successfully mastered in your
career so far.

   It is commonly written that people fear change and avoid it. That's true
for all of us to some extent. But, when we understand the cost of not
changing that fear transforms into welcoming acceptance.

   The most important fact I take from messages on this thread (and Rich
Burroughs' is a prime example) is that SysAdmin, network admin, devops,
whatever name is appropriate for the market segment you want to join is
constantly in flux. Your value to an employer is not what you are good at
now but how you will contribute to the profits of the company in the future.
Ability to quickly learn new tools and productively apply them, being aware
of potential new tools, and being flexible is worth a lot.

   Something to think about.