[PLUG] Linux and AWS: Cloud Chronicles

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.net
Wed Aug 31 16:08:35 UTC 2016

On 8/30/2016 11:40 PM, Michael Dexter wrote:
> On 8/30/16 1:23 PM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> Amazon's services are often expensive compared to the cost of running
>> those services in-house on bare metal -- but once you factor in the
>> costs of leasing space and building out your own data center, they
>> become reasonable.
> Funny you should say that. I work with a storage vendor and while the
> "cloud" on-demand model works great for compute, it falls down
> completely for storage. A napkin-math calculation for 16TB allowed you
> to buy a new small NAS system every two or three months. :)
>
> Michael

I'm curious.  Did the back-o-the-napkin estimate include operational
costs?  Backups, backup verification, offsite storage and the cost of
the connection (it may be a courier van or more bandwidth) to move the
data offsite ... and restore in a reasonable amount of time?  I haven't
run the numbers ... but am reminded how often systems are purchased on a
budgets which assume ops/maintenance will "just happen".
Cheers,
- Don