[PLUG] Learning Linux Sys Admin & Linux/Open Source tools

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:45:00 UTC 2016

> Mike,
>
>    From a non-computer-industry-professional perspective: responsible
> managers (that is, those for whom you'd want to work) frequently seek those
> who are adaptable and able to quickly learn new things. Every industry and
> business changes (at the corporate level read the article from The
> Economist
> on linux and AWS) and those that are early adopters who survive and thrive.
>
>    The same principle applies to individuals. You might have experience
> with
> a few tools which are not exactly what a potential employer is using (or
> thinking of using) but that does not mean you could not quickly learn them
> and become productive. Were I in your position I'd structure my CV and
> resume (the former listing qualifications, the latter business
> accomplishments on behalf of employers) and cover letters on the range of
> responsibilities, tools, and situations you've successfully mastered in
> your
> career so far.
>
>    It is commonly written that people fear change and avoid it. That's true
> for all of us to some extent. But, when we understand the cost of not
> changing that fear transforms into welcoming acceptance.
>
>    The most important fact I take from messages on this thread (and Rich
> Burroughs' is a prime example) is that SysAdmin, network admin, devops,
> whatever name is appropriate for the market segment you want to join is
> constantly in flux. Your value to an employer is not what you are good at
> now but how you will contribute to the profits of the company in the
> future.
> Ability to quickly learn new tools and productively apply them, being aware
> of potential new tools, and being flexible is worth a lot.
>
>    Something to think about.
>
> Rich
>
> Rich - You're spot on with all of this. I've recently added "notable
contributions" to each job summary on my resume. No one has yet really
seemed to care.

There's a few rubs here that I'll enumerate for contemplation /
conversation sake.

1.  While I was doing other things in life, Linux Sys Admin shifted from
LAMP stack, Email, NFS, DNS, etc to more DevOps, virtualization, AWS and
automation. Every Linux job description I've seen thus far spells that out
loud and clear.

2. There's a really big communication gap to be bridged between a resume /
cover letter and the hiring manager that usually includes HR, recruiters
and poorly written job descriptions that are based on "what you're good at"
now and not on "how you can learn, change, grow and contribute to the
company in the future."

Over my 15 years of working in the IT field, I've seen a reluctance of
companies to invest in employees and build customized systems and software
in-house to meet a businesses needs.

It's a different world now, especially in Portland. where Linux oriented
jobs are being driven by software development companies. Great for Linux!
Difficult for ol' school Linux SysAdmin folks who love and appreciate Linux
and want to be able to make a living working with it.

-- Mike