[PLUG] Learning Linux Sys Admin & Linux/Open Source tools

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 31 23:07:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, Mike C. wrote:

> There's a few rubs here that I'll enumerate for contemplation /
> conversation sake.

> 2. There's a really big communication gap to be bridged between a resume /
> cover letter and the hiring manager that usually includes HR, recruiters
> and poorly written job descriptions that are based on "what you're good
> at" now and not on "how you can learn, change, grow and contribute to the
> company in the future."

Mike,

   You have no control over poorly written job descriptions. Just ask the
contractors Portland hired for huge software projects! But, you do have
control over how you approach finding a job that fits you like custom shoes.

   The cover letter has one purpose: to get the recipient to read your
resume. That's all.

   Your resume has only one purpose: to get invited to an interview.

   At the interview -- with the technical folks with whom you'll work -- you
have the opportunity to probe for what they think they need and how you'll
fit in the corporate culture. I offer no ideas on dealing with HR folks as
I've never had to do so.

> Over my 15 years of working in the IT field, I've seen a reluctance of
> companies to invest in employees and build customized systems and software
> in-house to meet a businesses needs.

   That's really unfortuate and can limit the business' future. In the
mid-1980s I was developing dBASE III and Paradox applications for businesses
who did not want to change how they did business to fit what the
shrink-wrapped packages did. For example, a gas station that sold fuel by
the 10th of a gallon but purchased it by the gallon. No available accounting
software accommodated that. Another client was a fabric store that bought by
the bolt but sold by the 1/3rd of a yard.

> It's a different world now, especially in Portland. where Linux oriented
> jobs are being driven by software development companies. Great for Linux!
> Difficult for ol' school Linux SysAdmin folks who love and appreciate
> Linux and want to be able to make a living working with it.

   But, there probably are many SME (small-to-medium size enterprises) who
would value your knowledge and experiences. Pardon the cliche, but think
outside your experiences. Next month there's a Networking After Work meeting
that might be worth the money for you to attend. Why? Because the couple I
went to last year were filled with folks from hotels, restaurants, law
firms, and other retail-facing businesses. None prospective clients for me,
but they might be a target for your job search.

HTH,