[PLUG] Slackpkg...

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:19:42 UTC 2016

I might be confused, as is often the case, but doesn't xfce use X11? I
thought it was just a lightweight desktop, but still a GUI using X. As far
as a simple server goes, a P4 should be plenty of horsepower. Back in the
day, I used 386s for a lot of simple server duties. Of course that was
running Red Hat 5.1 I think. If you're just running a server and using CLI,
you don't even need xfce. Just stay in runlevel 3 and never get to the X
stuff. Unless drive space is tight, (unusual these days) I would think you
could just leave all those X packages alone. They won't run or use any
resources unless you start them.

Also, I have no experience with Slackware, when you install the OS, don't
you have a server install option that does not install all the X stuff?

Michael