[PLUG] recommended hardware question on VPN router

david dafr+plug at dafr.us
Tue Dec 20 05:25:33 UTC 2016

On 12/19/2016 08:58 PM, logical american wrote:
> Can someone suggest good vpn hardware for a VPN client?  My friend has
> an account with a popular stock trading house, but he is now nervous,
> since so much hacking has occurred.
>
> I did check one of the big local chain stores, but they only had 2
> routers for sale, supporting vpn.  I see 2 other chain stores listing a
> Linksys Gigabit VPN router, but not sure of their quality.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I fully understand what the requirements of your friend are
at this point. Do they want a WiFi router, or something else?

I've been relatively happy with my R6400 from Netgear[1], but the built
in OpenVPN doesn't play nice with anything except Windows. There was a
recent patch that fixed a vulnerability for remote command execution,
but largely it's been reliable. The last firmware release we relatively
stable, but one of the previous releases only lasted about 30 days
before it went haywire and required a reboot. The new one is only about
4 days old now, so time will tell there.

I have a Linux workstation running behind the router and that receives
connections for OpenVPN service that is installed there, and works well
enough for me and all my mobile devices.

david

[1] <http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/>