[PLUG] Big Download

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 22 20:22:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, Michael Barnes wrote:

> Any suggestions on someplace I can go to make a big download? I have to
> get an 11 gig file and our home DSL is not up to the task. I guess I need
> to slip into someplace with a big pipe I can sit for a while and get this
> file. Thanks for any suggestions. I am in Scappoose, but I can run into
> Portland, weather permitting.

Michael,

   Actually, your DSL can handle it while you sleep: use wget running in the
background. You can log out of your system and it will continue downloading.

   I had to download the Slackware-14.2/x86_i686 from osuosl.org because the
distribution DVD is corruputed. This was my first use of wget on an entire
directory rather than a single file and I ended up mirroring the entire site
... until I killed the process. Do _not_ use the mirror option!

   I used the -rbe (recursive, background, execute) options and specified -o
<filename> for the log file in case something went wrong.

   Also if you start a wget process in the background and it's not doing what
you want, get the PID and kill the process or it will continue running when
you start another invocation.

Good luck,